Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The Horror and Suspense of Elk's Run





Given the limited distribution of most independents that have yet to be established, the internet and the potential buzz it generates brings titles that may deserve a wider audience and greater sales out in the open. I would have otherwise not given Elk’s Run a chance since I have limited resources and a good number of suspense/horror types of comics. With most of the horror books focusing on zombies, vampires and witches, Elk’s Run is a refreshing departure for this genre. After countless times of swatting away the good buzz from the various comic review sites, I finally buckled and gave in and decided to give this title a chance. I was fortunate enough to snap up the last copy of the Bumper Edition and I am glad I did. It was the first book I read for the week and it hit me in a way that caused me to think and reflect.

Most of the time I plow through my books of the week, but the Elk’s Run tale hit me square in the nose. The three issues I just read left me wanting for more. I’ve never read any previous works from Fialkov or Tuazon but I feel lucky to have had a glimpse of the greatness they can dole out. The story left me with an eerily creepy feeling of foreboding and tragedy as layers and layers of the town and its people are being revealed each issue. I have to admit that the usage of the different viewpoints to frame your stories is genius. Fialkov has a great ear for dialogue; a twisted mind for creative cliff hangers; and a unique talent for telling a story that leaves readers yearning for more while shaking in their boots. Tuazon’s line work is deceptively free and loose, yet it perfectly portrays the unpredictability and instability of the township. Tuazon’s line work is deceptively free and loose, yet it perfectly portrays the unpredictability and instability of the township. The illustrations perfectly portray the turbulent and agitated state of the town which is indicative of the roiling powder keg that is Elk’s Run. Thanks for giving many of us a second chance to jump on the band wagon and show our genuine support. I hope that Elk’s Run will generate millions of bucks for you guys. I just called my local comic shop and added this book to my saver. I believe that many more folks should do the same.

***

You can download the trailer at: http://www.comicbookresources.com/media/elksruntrailer.zip

You'll need QuickTime to play it.

No comments: