Saturday, June 30, 2007

Review: Astraware Solitaire

Solitaire_screenshot_320x320_08
Astraware is the place to go for your handheld gaming and entertainment needs. With over 140 applications for most handheld platforms, Astraware is uniquely positioned to cater to anyone’s gaming and entertainment needs. Reviewing applications for Astraware can be a daunting task as they have such a wide range of diverse, quality applications. Astraware is truly “the home of handheld entertainment”.

One of the great things about Astraware is that they can take a game as famous and widely played as Solitaire, and amp it up to meet the needs of the newer generation of gamers who seek to play an old-school game.

Astraware Solitaire has allowed accomplishing a feat never done in my life: play through and finish a game of Solitaire. In all my years of living on this planet, I can now say that I’ve finished a game of Solitaire. You may be thinking,”Eh…so what?” What I love about Astraware Solitaire as opposed to the various other programs available for the Palm OS is the relative ease at which I can customize my game play. Given that I am a novice at learning this time-honored game, I was able to adjust the settings that allow me to play and learn at the same time. The game play allows Astraware Solitaire’s AI to highlight for me the next best step. I am given the option to choose the indicated move notated by the green-hued card or I can make my own decision and choose make a different move.

Moreover, Astraware Solitaire makes it super-easy to move cards by allowing users to just tap a card on the screen and the card will automatically go to the next best move. No need to drag and drop (unless you wanted to, of course). Users have the additional functionality of being given a simple hint indicated by the starred card.

A unique feature of the game is the achievement system that makes for exciting game play. As players win games, certain trophies are unlocked and added to their personal milestones. The ultimate achievement is to win enough games to complete the Golden Trophy Deck, which further enhances user game play.

Astraware’s Solitaire gives players a multitude of options to adjust to their personal level of game play. Both the novice and veteran player will find a lot to provide hours of challenging and fun card play. The card games included in this version are: 12 different single player card games: Calculation, Canfield, Clock, Four Seasons, Freecell, Golf, Idiot’s Delight, Klondike, Pyramid, Spider, Sultan’s Harem, and Yukon

My overall experience with playing Astraware’s amped-up version of Solitaire has been great bordering on being addictive. This is truly a great addition to the expertly made and effusively entertaining line up of fantastic games from the Astraware stable. You can download a free demo to test-drive Solitaire from the Astraware site here. Have fun!

Only posted on Palm Addicts

No comments: